8 Reasons Why Your Kid Should Learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (“BJJ”) is a Martial Art and Combat Sport that focuses on Grappling and Ground Fighting in particular. The amazing promise Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu makes is that even a weak person can defend themselves from a stronger opposition by using the techniques of Joint Locks and Chokeholds. Originally descended fromancient Japanese Jiu-Jitsu styles, the art was brought to Brazil by travelling Japanese Jiu-Jitsu masters in the early 19020’s and was refined and further developed in Brazil by the Gracie family and others into the potent art we see today. BJJ is a martial art which emphasizes Physical Fitness, but also can be utilized to building character and resilience in the youth & finally, the creation of a lifestyle that benefits you forever.
Here are the Eight reasons why your kid should start training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
- 1-Self Defense:
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu primarily focuses on the techniques and practices that strengthen one’s mind and body to react in alarming situations, where you can not run away, can’t yell for help & you have to fight anyway. Learning BJJ techniques teaches you to face these situations more courageously and no matter how strong your opposition maybe, you will be able to defeat them. This also has strong character development aspects to it, as many situations in life require you to face adversity head-on, this builds long-term resilience.
- 2-Learning by Failing:
- You may state that a child learns in a school as well, and that’s true but the bigger truth is that many schools don’t always teach children to embrace and overcome failure, in a BJJ class, you fail again and again before you learn something, it makes you perceive failure in a different way and this ignites the desire to be successful by learning from your mistakes and simulates what really happens in adult life- we will often fail before we succeed. Some commentators have called this younger generation the “snowflake” generation, as it seems youngsters are increasingly less tough and resilient to dealing with adversity and failure, BJJ offers an antidote to this and builds your child into a more robust individual, better able to learn about real life and learning to deal with failure in a positive and constructive way.
- 3-Self Esteem:
- It’s not a matter of few days or weeks to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but it takes years to master the art and when you feel helpless and awkward while training with the higher belts, it stimulates the will to reach those higher standards through determination, focus and hardwork, you feel empowered and soon start controlling your thoughts and actions which eventually assists in building and growing your child’sself esteem.
- 4-Physical Fitness:
- Physical activities indirectly enhance your body shape and you start getting fit and healthy simply by repetition. But whereas, normal exercises at the gym can get boring, BJJ practice has an enormous amount of variety which increases physical dexterity and agility whilst building your muscles and reducing fat.Thus your child is more likely to be stimulated by BJJ than just trying out another new sport or physical exercise routine, but with the valuable side-benefit of better health and wellness.
- Learning the art of BJJ is all about helping others and getting helped by them. You cannot just isolate yourself and learn, it requires immense collaboration to practice the techniques and once you are in a BJJ class, you immediately start making new friends and a strong bond of trust develops when someone offers you to practice arm-breaking techniques on their arm and you ask for their arm in return. Sweet isn’t it?
- One can never be courageous within your comfort zone and that’s the case with many learning environments. In a BJJ class, you will feel uncomfortable, you may sometimes be defeated by stronger students, especially in the early days, and at times you’ll feel somewhat overcome and maybe a hint of anxiety. This may sound like too much hard work, but it’s when you open up your mind and soul to overcome these fears and the urge to get rid of the failure which makes you more courageous. Over the long-term, it can build an unbreakable spirit with a strong will to succeed.
- When you know that what you are pursuing will take months to start knowing about the art, and a few years to be totally confident about what you are doing and a lifetime to become a master, the level of patience increases each day as you proceed which affects your overall personality and life.
- After you spend fair bit of time in a BJJ class, you start noticing the details in UFC fights and other martial arts sports, you start evaluating the fights technically and you are able to make opinions based on the knowledge you earn through BJJ. It certainly gives you a sense of pride while sitting amongst your mates and commenting legitimately on the fight you are watching live.
At last, it is important to understand the importance of a physical hobby for your child who might be immersed in an online-virtual world with little real human interaction. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu not only trains your child to be strong and smart but also opens up the opportunities to socialize and mingle with other types of people which offers great benefits for the family and society.
If you are convinced that your child should explore the Brazilian jiu-Jitsu, then simply inbox us to book a FREE trial class.